Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Crochet tea cosy pattern...



Here as promised is a "sort of" pattern for the easy peasy tea cosy I made the other week. I'm rubbish at writing patterns and I've done the best I can, with a little help thank goodness! I did a little search on the internet and discovered that a lady has made a Youtube video tutorial on THE SAME style tea cosy. So I would firstly recommend you have a look at this and then have a read through what I have to say...

YouTube tea cosy tutorial part one

YouTube tea cosy tutorial part two

I've finished mine off slightly differently. I made a button loop instead of having a drawstring fastening at the top.

So, let's get going!

One teapot.... mine is a 4-6 cup teapot

Hook: 4.5mm

Yarn I used:

King Cole Baby Comfort dk in lilac 579, purple 586, rose and turquoise 577 ( I don't know if they sent the wrong colour because this is definently aqua not turquoise). Stylecraft acrylic dk in Spring green and white.

I used a rose button which came free with an issue of Mollie Makes magazine...

Measure your teapot from the base to the lid and then from the handle to the spout to find out the width. My teapot was 7.5 inches high. Create a chain which measures the height of the teapot.

For my teapot this was 40 chain stitches.

The stitch to be used is single crochet (US), double crochet (UK).

Round one consists of sc/dc to end of chain, ch 1 then turn and sc/dc to end. Then change yarn colour. Once you have added the new yarn colour you sc/dc into the BACK LOOPS only of the previous round. This is shown in detail in the Youtube video.

see the ridge of stitches at the
bottom of this photo

When you look at the reverse of your two rows you will see a ridge of stitches at the top. Work your sc (US dc) stitches into these raised stitches.
This technique creates the ridged effect on the front. When you get to the end of the row working in the back loops only, chain one and turn your work. In the next row work dc/sc as normal in the top loops.

Continue until your work fits across the width of the teapot.

Make a front piece and a back piece. My finished panels measure 7 inches by 7.5 inches.

On the bottom edge before you sew in the yarn ends, sc (US dc) in a contrasting colour along the edge. This will be at the bottom of the cosy.

The next step is to make a button loop. Choose a button and sew onto one corner of the bottom edge of a panel. On the other panel choose a yarn colour and attach the yarn into one corner. Chain approximately 12, ch one then sc (US dc) back along the chain.

Slip stitch into the beginning chain stitch and sew in the ends. Then bring the chain around into a loop shape and slip stitch to the tea cosy edge to form a loop. Check it fits around the button.



 Ok... still with me?

The next step is to thread a needle with yarn and double the yarn. Leaving a 3 inch tail, do a running stitch around the top of the cosy - about a good inch from the top and again leave a 3 inch tail at the end.

Put the cosy on your teapot. Pull the thread as tight as it will go and knot the thread. I want the top of the cosy to sit ON the lid handle, NOT around it for the design I'm doing.


This is the result, seen on the right. Now you may find this makes your cosy too short at the bottom. I added another two rows of sc (US dc) to the bottom and then a frilly edge in a contrasting colour.

For the frilly edge, start at one corner of the bottom of the cosy and chain one. Sc (US dc) in next two stitches.

In the next stitch loop do the following:
sc (US dc), htr (half treble) (US hdc) , 2 x tr (treble)(US double crochet), htr (US hdc), sc (US dc). Then a sc (US dc) in the next two stitches, then repeat the above pattern for the remaining edge.
Sew in the ends around the top of the cosy and all the ends at the base of the cosy.

Now for the good bit.... embellishing the cosy!

I made three peonies using this
Sew Ritzy-Titzy pattern
and stitched them around the tight gathered top. If you know how to do treble/double crochet stitch, then you will be able to make these ruffley flowers....


.... and this is how to create a rather lovely tea cosy...

Happy hooking!



35 comments:

Emma/The Log Cabin said...

This is lovely. Thanks for sharing xxx

Cuckoo said...

Ahhhhhh. I just couldn't see how this was done. It's like you turned on a light. Of course this is how you do it. When you said it was simple I didn't believe you, however in saying that I don't think i could pull it off with as much panache as you!

xxx

MeMeRose said...

Oh you know you can! Thank you for your kind words and reminding me of the word "panache"... I'm going to try and fit that word into my next client conversation! Look forward to seeing your crochet cosy if you attempt this one x

Sandra said...

Your tea cosy is beautiful and I love the stripes and the fresh colours. Thank you so much for showing us how it's done. I'm going to do a plain one without the flowers as it suits my tea-service better. I'll be using blue, green and white for the same reason.
Thank you for sharing! The frilly bottom edge is fun!

stardustgemsandribbon said...

Gorgeous cosy! Thanks for the pattern......will definitely give it a go!
Carole

linda said...

Thank you for the pattern, I love it :)

vintage grey said...

Love it!! Thank you for a great tutorial!! :) xo Heather

Beansieleigh said...

Oh my gosh, is this the CUTEST?!!! Gonna run to catch the video just as quick as I can! Thanks so much for sharing! ((hugs)) ~tina

Lisa said...

It's really amazing, I love it.
Lisa

Tangled Sweetpea said...

Thank you for sharing! Can't wait to give it a go!
Victoria xx

Miss Bfly said...

The colours are beautiful! Lovely creation!

*Steph*

Carol said...

Love your colour choices, that cosy would make any teatime special.
Carol xx

Pati from London said...

Love it! Thanks so much! x Pati

ZUZU said...

wow... so lovely.. the rose button so cute..

Samos said...

Your things are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing! Happy time from Switzerland! Sandra

Micro G said...

Lovely spring colours Meme Rose, really uplifting!

Fleur Cotton said...

Beautiful, and as usual a fantastic colour palette.

Fleur xx

LenkaH. said...

Wow, it is really wonderfull!!!

Anne said...

I love this tea cosy!! Thanks for posting the links to the tutorial!! I tried crocheting this morning (first time in awhile) and I think I can make one like this!

Thanks for the inspiration...as always you have an amazing blog and aesthetic for all things beautiful!

tatjana said...

very nice!! :-))
greetings from bavaria
tatjana

Janine en Suus said...

You make me want to start immidiately! You can never have enough teacosy's! (just finished the second knitted one...)
Greetings Janine

bredal said...

I love it, it's so colourful thank you for the pattern.

Kylie said...

Stunning! This is next on my list to try now. Thank you so much x Kylie

Just Kate said...

I've never thought of making a tea cozy but I have a friend who collects teapots and she neeeeds this. Thanks for the pattern. You did a great job!

Just Kate said...

I've never thought of making a tea cozy but I have a friend who collects teapots and she neeeeds this. Thanks for the pattern. You did a great job!

Just Kate said...

I've never thought of making a tea cozy but I have a friend who collects teapots and she neeeeds this. Thanks for the pattern. You did a great job!

tea cozy said...

This is cute! I love the pattern!

Ajay said...

Meme Rose, Your tea cosy is simplistic but so elegant I luv it and can't wait to make my own.
Cheers
Ajay

Anonymous said...

Love it, Love it, Love it .. was happily making cushion covers until i happened upon this .. now busy making a tea cosy .. LOL <3 x

Gloria said...

What a great pattern! Thanks for sharing. This is on my must do list. Love the closure so much nicer than a drawstring

janice15 said...

I JUST LOVE IT, IT'S BEAUTIFUL AND I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY AND MAKE ONE...I HAVE DIFFERENT THREADS LEFT OVER WILL BE PERFECT. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING. HAPPY WEEKEND WITH LOVE JANICE....

Kimette said...

I love this tea cosy. I can not wait to try it.

flmummum said...

Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to make one.

Pearly Queen said...

Lovely pattern and beautifully made. I think there is some confusion in the instructions about US and UK terms for the sc and dc.

There is a good conversion chart here...

http://www.yarnfwd.com/main/crochet.html

Penny
x

Heather said...

this is adorable and the instructions are very clear. Thanks.